“It’s the final countdown!” I heard that classic rock song at the Pella Aquatic Center the other day. We are certainly getting close to the final countdown for our departure to Kenya: just 25 days!
With temperatures in Pella hitting the mid- to high-nineties the last several days, we sure are looking forward to relief from the heat. The current ten day forecast for Nairobi shows temperatures nearly 20 degrees lower than Pella.
We are thankful that things are coming together well for our trip. We have secured housing in Kenya, a fully-furnished two-bedroom house with detached third-bedroom. Many thanks to Dr. Lee and the staff at Bridgeworld College for all their work in helping find and secure this house for us. The house is within a mile of the college campus on Karen Road, and although it’s hard to tell too much from a few pictures, it looks like it will be a comfortable place for our family.
A couple of weeks ago I went to Grand Rapids for CRWM and World Renew’s joint volunteer orientation program. While there, I appreciated being able to have dinner and helpful conversations with Rev. Ed Tamminga, a retired CRC pastor who has made numerous trips to Kenya and Uganda to teach. Ed said that in Uganda, which, like Kenya, was once a British colony, you can still tell where the golf courses were, past tense. The satellite images on Google Earth suggest that they do still water the fairways at the Karen Country Club. 🙂
The CRWM and World Renew orientation event was wonderful! It was three very full days of learning, laughter, worship and prayer. I could not imagine a better sending and supporting agency for missionaries than CRWM and World Renew. It was great to finally meet in person many of the staff who have been so vital in making this opportunity possible for our family. If you are a CRC member, keep those ministry shares coming. It’s money well spent!
A few prayer items for our final weeks before departure:
- We are thankful to have our housing secured in Nairobi.
- We are thankful for how well our support-raising has gone.
- We will have our commissioning service at Faith Church this coming Sunday morning (June 19). We are looking forward to our parents being with us for that.
- We are beginning to plan for packing, transportation to the airport and having our house ready for Dale and Gloria Slings, who will be living in it in mid-September through late November as Dale serve as an interim pastor at Faith Church.
- I’ve received all of the course outlines for the three classes I’ll be teaching.
“Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word.” (Colossians 4:2-3)